Tuesday, September 28, 2010

30 Days of me - Day 19

Nicknames you have, why do you have them.

There were some names back at school when I was a whipper snapper but my memory has faded and therefore I've forgotten most of them! They were probably quite insulting and offensive, so I think that is where they belong, in the past!

Housty - well as my maiden name is Houston it stems from there. I still get this from some old friends and don't mind it all. Said in a high pitched voice, I always know it is meant for me!

Huxterious - the same person that called me Housty, also invented Huxterious (meant for my husband) but I also get it as well. Again, it doesn't bother me, it has a point of reference and it makes me laugh.

Flinglett - this is where my husbands' far fetched, ridiculous name invention skills began (see Day 2). I think this stems from him calling me darling, then d'ling, then fling, then flinglett. He still calls me this (in public as well!!) and even though I used to find it annoying I quite like it now!

Flingarooney - this stems from Flinglett. see above. I hope you can see a theme here. Yes he calls everyone and everything by a different name!!

Grarrnett/Grarrnee - Husband again!! Honest I could do pages here but I will keep it to a bare minimum! He will read this later and tell me off about the spelling of these names I am sure!! They are made up but he will have very specific spelling of them. I used to really dislike this one, as it was always said in a whiny voice and usually involves me doing something! This one became quite popular for a few years and even others adopted it. It has somewhat fell from grace now. But again it grew on me!!

Twiskett - This comes from one of these names, to be honest I can't remember it is all one big blur now I write it down!! But this one has stuck and I do answer to it. But only by my husband, ok!

Claire Bear - I still get this one from friends alot. Cos it rhymes and normally I call people rhyming names so it comes back to bite me in the bum!

Huxtable - A new one (yesterday I think) from some lovely ladies I tweet with. They know who they are!!

Honestly I answer to anything. As my accent is still quite Yorkshire people in NZ don't always understand me when I say my name is Claire (they say - Clear !!) I don't.. So I have been called Clive before, which has made me laugh very loudly.

But I don't answer to rude names, that just isn't cricket is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment